Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blogs and Wikis

A few weeks ago, I created a project wiki for my class (the link is on one of my previous posts). I really like using wikis as a one spot stop for resources and communication. I find them easy to navigate, and easy to organize as a teacher. I like that students have constant access to what they need, and I will not have to print out the project requirements three times for each student. Students can collaborate and communicate through discussion threads, so it also helps me formatively assess their progress and their thinking throughout the project. I think I would more likely use a wiki in my class than a blog, because I think there is more flexibility in how you can use it, and it seems more conducive to project development since resources can be included and it is not so highly discussion based as a blog. It is also true that one student will not be stuck with all the work because as long as a student has internet, they can bring the project home. I think that blogs and wikis are easily the most useful communication and collaboration online tools we have learned how to use in this course, and I will undoubtedly use one or both in my classes in the future. I also like how in this course we each have our own personalized blog, and it keeps us accountable for completing the coursework, but we can also communicate through comments. I feel like I can get to know my classmates better this way, even though I will never meet them in person!

My favorite blog from the examples is "Lab out Loud." I am so impressed that two science teachers created the blog/podcast and put the time in to maintain it for other teachers and students. I could spend all day watching episodes and reading the blog posts. If you haven't checked it out yet, you really should! http://laboutloud.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! I've been on the fence between wikis and blogs, and was leaning toward creating a classroom wiki for just the reasons you stated. I appreciate your candid remarks and, since you've used wikis in your classroom with positive results, you've convinced me a wiki is the best route for my 5th graders. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you've written here. I think both are REALLY good tools. I loved the research provided in the slideshow on our class wiki. I know all of these things apply to myself as a learner. I think it really comes down to what you want these tools to accomplish and which tool is the best to accomplish it. I think wikis have are a more flexible resource and can do more than blogs. I personally find blogs to be a better place for discussion and reflection.

    ReplyDelete