Friday, July 29, 2011

Revisiting my initial post

One of my biggest take-aways from this course is that in this ever-changing world, students must learn to be creative, and teachers must prepare students for careers that require an immense amount of individuality and creativity. Through use of a lot of these internet tools, teachers can speed up the learning process through constant communication in and out of school. Many of the resources we learned about in this course leave lots of room for students to be creative. Like I said in my initial post, the internet provides countless opportunities for communication and collaboration. In my final project, I attempted to create a blog that fosters communication between students at different schools and education professionals throughout the state.

I feel that my initial opinions remain the same. I chose to take this course for the reason that I thought it would make me a better teacher by learning how to navigate educational web tools more smoothly as well as give me ideas for integrating them into the classroom. I think this course effectively accomplished this goal, and even if I feel I have not mastered all of the tools we learned how to use, I now have the resources to learn how to use them. I have a long list of ways I can use these resources in the classroom thanks to Prof. Brunsell and all of the other teachers in this course! I want my students to be problem solvers and independent thinkers and I plan to teach them this through science by using inquiry. The internet gives students access to information they never would have had twenty years ago, so they may ask more questions because a lot of knowledge is already out there for them!

1 comment:

  1. I think what you say about communication, creativity, and collaboration is spot-on. The connections that students make now (and the fact that we reinforce that those connections are good) are also important.

    I also like the idea of class groups staying in touch with you through the blog, which is a pretty cool. Good luck with approval.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete