Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Digital Storytelling

The chapter from Technology in the Secondary Science Classroom and the idea of digital storytelling directly connect to "non-linguistic" representations that my class was talking about today in the other course I am currently taking. Non-linguistic representations add detail and clarification to abstract concepts in science. Visual components can make students think, or they can provide information that students may not otherwise be able to visualize. I use accompanying visuals every day to enhance my teaching, but I often do not consider the exact reason why I am including the visual besides that it will add clarification to new content.

I especially like that in the digital storytelling examples that students were summarizing and covering the essential ideas in their videos. It is a skill for students to gather information they have learned and summarize it by turning it into a story. There is a lot of value in being able to describe a science concept in their own words so that they can teach others. It seems students have fun creating the visuals and designing the sequence of presenting them. I am definitely going to create a project using digital storytelling in my earth science class in the future. Some of these videos will serve as good models for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment