Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Technology Guiding Principles

The most important skills that students must have when using technology for information-
1. Navigation: how to search for useful and reliable internet sources
2. Discretion: how to identify which information is important
3. Application: how to apply the information that is available to them. Access to knowledge is easy, they must know what to do with that knowledge!

The technology must help students learn-
4. Technology can be used to accelerate learning by providing information or simulations that help students make connections.
5. Technology must help differentiate for different ability levels in the classroom. Every student must be able to use the technology on a level that they understand.
6. Technology helps students analyze and interpret data to further understanding.
7. Technology should enhance communication between students, the teacher and experts outside of school.
8. Technology should be providing additional, more accessible learning experiences for students, and should not be used just because it is there.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your use of discretion as an important skill. I have had to deal with that a lot so far in my teaching career. Students just want to find the first answer and use it but they don't like to find out who the author was and what type of background that person may have had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I like #3..."how to apply information that is available to them" With proper facilitation and guidance along with the ability to get continued practice using applications, I think students could eventually become good at knowing what to do with the knowledge! I know it takes dedication on my part to make sure that when I show them new technology, I get set up other lessons that can let them access and become more and more proficient at the application. This is where I sometimes get into trouble! I have found that I need to be careful not to throw too many new technologies at them or I might not be able to build all of it into future lessons for more practice! This year I focused on multiple LabQuest and Excel use. Next year I want to add Google Earth and GPS/GIS more often!

    ReplyDelete