Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wetpaint Wiki

In addition to exploring options with Google Earth, this week I chose to create a wiki on Wetpaint. I made the wiki with the intention that it could be used for the duration of a course, but now I think that a wiki would be more useful as a project tool for students. For example, on this wiki, I posted a project and included due dates on the calendar, created a section for links that are useful resources for the project, a discussion thread, news relating to weather and climate, and a link to a rubric. I was thinking that I would add more projects as I go along, but instead, I think that there could be a wiki for just one project so that it does not get too cluttered. Students could use the resources on the wiki, and they could also communicate with classmates and group members. The due dates are easy to view, and the project description and rubric are easily accessible. This wiki is really just a start, and helped me get familiar with creating one, but I will not use this specific wiki in my class. I can definitely see using wikis as a tool, and I like the extensive options for what you can do with a wiki. Here is the link to my trial wiki!
http://vandykeearthscience.wetpaint.com/

2 comments:

  1. That does seem like a good idea for projects. Could you make a page for each individual project? Can the kids change anything with the edit tabs? I can see where that could become a problem with some of the more creative students. I really like the rainy to sunny classifications on your rubric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I like the project idea also! I looked through all of you links/threads in the wiki you created through Wetpaint Wiki and it is very user friendly which is great for students. Like Christine, I like your rubric and the "rainy to sunny" classifications and also the video resources link (and the video you added). Do you have to okay or approve the posts that students put up to the wiki, or do students just post freely?

    One thing that got annoying was all of the advertisements "pop-ups"...which is one of the downsides to free sites. I am wondering if your district or administration (or parents for that matter) have issues or guidelines for those concerns about possible inappropriate ads? (I am just wondering because I am sure I would have to deal with that with someone and would like any feedback if you have covered that hurdle already?!?) I really like this wiki idea and would like to get your "experiential feedback" if you have any!!! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete